Tuesday, April 7, 2009

The Wind!!
So---I am well started. Thank you for your encouragement and prayers and training and patience.
Abbie drove me from Matthew's in Malvern to Stone Harbor on Palm Sunday to spend the night with Tyler's Godparents, Glen and Kathy. Monday morning after a big pancake breakfast, Abbie returned home in PA, Glenn took me to Hale Bicycle Shop in Cape May Court House. Within an hour I was suited up for the rain and low 50's and headed for the 1300 Cape May to Lewes, DE ferry. Still raining but little wind---down DE 1 all the way to Ocean City, MD. Sun came out around Bethany Beach, stopped to look in on my old Coast Guard charge, Fenwick Island lighthouse on the DE/MD border. 39 miles.

Comfort Inn, hot shower, crab sandwich, a little of the NC blowout of MSU, then bed.

Tuesday the 7th. 49 miles almost all of which into 20 kt westerly working my way from OC to Salisbury. Got here right at 1600---played with two of my wonderful grandchildren, Sage (10mos) and Dylan almost 3.

Wednesday Greg's going to take me down 13 aways below the cities then across the Chesapeake Bay-Bridge-tunnel to Virginia Beach on the way to the Outer Banks.

7 comments:

  1. Hi Ed! It's great to read your news. 49 miles, hot diggity! We are with you in spirit and as the rain falls here and the wind howls and the mud deepens, I think what better occupation then an adventurous journey. All that wind just helps keep you in shape, right? Lynn

    ReplyDelete
  2. Good to hear from you "old man and the bike" - a perfect start.
    Did you put gas in my truck? For some reason I went from 17 to 38 mpg on this tank. Thank you.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Yippee! I love Matt's "old man and the bike" reference, but you are truly redefining "old". The cats are fighting, and all of us miss you, but I love tracking your progress on my map. And I hope you hugged Sage and Dylan for me, too. As Lynn said, the mud is deepening, big time, so your timing is perfect. LOVE! Mary

    ReplyDelete
  4. Hey Ed! You're actually on the road! Ain't it grand to reduce your life to the essentials?

    If it's any consolation, it's snowing in VT right now so you made the right choice by starting 400 miles further south. I bet it's even green down there and the buds are out.

    Eat plenty, ride hard and sleep well my friend! Enjoy each day, each hour each mile. Here's one of my favorite quotes from Robert Pursig, "It is better to travel than arrive." Although in your case the arrival will be pretty nice too. Happy trails! Al

    ReplyDelete
  5. I have some pics and video from Dad's visit. (Not sure how I can get these uploaded, so I'll email to M). I stuffed him with a carb loaded pasta dinner and homemade peanut butter cup ice cream. D wore a shirt with bikes on it and the kids made a welcome to Maryland banner. This morning the guys are on their way to school drop-off and road trip South.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Hi Ed,
    Good to see you're on the road! I pulled my archive of AAA maps to follow your progress. DE 1 looks like a real keeper -- the this time of year the traffic can't be too bad. Time to pull the NC map.

    ReplyDelete
  7. How exciting! Fantastic! Oh, the bike ride is cool too, but I'm digging the BLOG! Have a great trip. Happy Easter.

    ReplyDelete