Tuesday, April 21, 2009

Fianlly Georgia

SaturdaY, the 18th, got an email from Mary forwarded from Maureen D. who invited me to visit her family on spring break in Hilton Head. Very timely! Changed course about 40 deg to port and away I went. 55 miles down the road from Point South through Blufton, onto the island and along a 10 mile bike path I went.

On the way, met a Mexican bicycler who invited me for a snack and to fill my water bottles. He owns a roofing company, rides 50 miles every Sunday, is a Morman, and has most of his family here. 10 years his application for naturalization has been in INS hands without action. We shared a whole canteloupe and great conversation! Thanks.

Enjoyed a very relaxing visit with Maureen and Lydia and Jack and Pepper and Mary. Walked on the beach, visited the Harbor Town Light and saw alligators on condo lawns warming in the sun along with dozens of large green trutles. Thanks again Maureen for your hospitality.

Tuesday the 21st got a lift past Savannah and biked 57 hard hard into the wind miles to Statesboro, GA. Along the way saw 3 snakes ( one quite large and copper colored) and an armadillo. Only about 346 miles to go. Just did the 'warm showers' website and may have a stop in Folkston.

3 comments:

  1. Oh gee, don't you miss our deer and foxes?! Dodge the poisonous, mean ones, will you? Love, Me

    ReplyDelete
  2. Been trying for a half hour to identify the copper-colored one which was good sized. No luck--the search engine on this computer keeps taking me to organizations with 'snake' in their name.

    Dogs have been more of a problem. If I see them first I jump up a bunch of gears and hammer the pedals. Dogs can't run more than about 20mph, but with a little adrenalin, I can really get her going. If they see me first, I stop and put the bike between me and them and walk away. It works.

    ReplyDelete