Sunday, April 26, 2009

Last Ferry Ride!

Still can't post my photos. I will put them up when I get to Tyler's which is just 2 more days.

Got up early and went to St. Peter's Episcopal Church in the Old Town Fernandina Beach. "Holy Humor Sunday". Lots of costumes, music, jokes, and a wonderful homily. Ancient tradition that is being revived.

Headed south on A1A to the end of Amelia Island, across big and little bridges until I got to the St. Johns River ferry. $1 it cost. Stopped at the USCG Exchange store and bought a t-shirt. Then on to Mayport, down Ocean Blvd, right through all the beach towns where the Peach Parade had caused many streets to be closed except to bicycle traffic. It was wonderful for about 12 miles. 44 miles and I am in a motel a half mile from the beach and about 1/3 as expensive as a beach motel.

Talked to Tyler last night. Told him I hoped to see him around early afternoon Tuesday. Perfect he says--I can go to his 'Jets and Rockets' presentation at 1700.

I plan to get through St. Augusting and on to Flagler Beach tomorrow. Daytona on Tuesday!!!!!

About 1250 miles total to date! Some stats about the ride from looking incessantly at my bike computer:
Speeds: head wind 8 to 10, no wind 12 to 14, tail wind 15 to 17.
Gears: Except for a few hills and bridges, I am in middle chain ring and a narrow range of gears in the back. It has been mostly flat, flat, flat.
Heart rate: 120 to 142 except on a few hils then 175.
Cadence: 75 to 85, much higher then most riders I know.
Issues: getting a little sunburned; dogs occasionally but I stop and talk them into letting me pass; not being able to remember the words to songs which I sing out loud; and wearing the same clothes for 3 weeks.

1 comment: