Saturday, April 11, 2009

OBX----Outer Banks, NC








It has been awhile so this is catch up time. My photo theme---Lighthouses and USCG stations!
Wed, 8 April: Greg took me by Dylan's school (really near), then drove me to Exmore down the Delmarva. Set out on a tiny road parallel to 13 into the wind of course. Called ahead and a van was waiting to carry me across the Ches. Bay-Bridge-Tunnel. Quickly found sister of our Vermont neighbor who took me in, fed me and shared sea stories. Many thanks to Leslie, Greg and Rick!
Thurs, 9 Apr: Brother Rick took me to the 'Brass Bell' bar and grill for a sumptuous breakfast then drove me to Currituck ferry (Virginia Beach traffic is awful and NO shoulders). Another big thank you. Sunny day, wind NW at 8 to 10, flew down to Kitty Hawk at top of Outer Banks (locally called OBX), found wonderful bike path which ended at the First-in-Flight memorial (see photo of huge granite monument on top of hill). Ended the day in beach motel in Nags Head next to fishing pier.
Friday, 10 April: WIND, south 18 to 25 with gusts to 30. Oh well! Goal was Ocracoke. Made it with big lift from Jason, his wife and sister who picked me up half way down Pea Island and carried me to Hatteras ferry landing. They had been in Young Life as high schoolers. Thank you.
On my way past, stopped at Oregon Inlet CG Station (see photo) for water and sea stories. Except all the 'kids' on watch were born AFTER I had retired. None of the cutters I had served in (Storis, Ironwood, Taney, and Papaw) are in service. Taney is now a museum ship in the Baltimore inner harbor, W-37, last ship afloat to have been at Pearl Harbor. 45 minute ride across Hatteras inlet. Long chat with a couple from Leesburg, VA who ride. Then 13 miles into unbelievable wind (see photo of milepost 77 which meant I was 66 miles from Nags Head and only 9 miles to end of OBX)to village of Ocracoke. Lovely!!!! So much so I put a down payment on a little waterfront cottage! (just kidding Mary, but it really is nice here. Greg and Ellen like Avon which is also nice).
Staying at Ocracoke Harbor Inn--very comfortable. Let me use w/d to clean my smelly stuff and use this computer to blog. Staying through to Easter morning then on the Ocracoke to Cedar Is. 2.5 hour ferry. Cold front came through last night. Clearing tomorrow with maybe a north wind. I can pray can't I. Going to add minutes to track phone, and go to book store, and plan next part of trip. There is a chance I can stay at the BOQ (bachelor officers quarters) at Camp Leguene near Jacksonville, NC.
Happy Easter one and all.


2 comments:

  1. You can buy us a seaside cottage -does it come with a sunfish?! I'm praying for a tailwind for you, and if we fly kites tomorrow at Horns, I'll put one up there for you. Happy Easter. I love you, Me

    ReplyDelete
  2. We went to Ocracoke a few years ago and loved it. I actually have a book about the unusual dialect that they speak, if you'd like to see it some time. Happy Easter!

    ReplyDelete