Saturday, April 25, 2009

Florida!

Yup! Crossed into Florida just east of St. George, Ga this morning. My "warm showers" host, Arthur the Caboose (his chosen handle because he is a train nut) came by the trailer, watched me pack up, then took me into Folkston to his favorite McDonalds which is full of train models and artifacts. Folkston is a railhead--Amtrak, frieght and the car train go through.

Rode past the entrance to the Okeefinokee Swamp, but saw no alligators or black bears.

In Florida, near Callahan, got into a 'ride for autism' and met some nice people, and made a donation.

A1A all the way in to Amelia Island. 67 miles today, but not as hot as yesterday. Stiff easterly. My room on 3rd floor overlooks the Atlantic--last time I saw the ocean was at the Outer Banks (except for a quick walk on the beach at Hilton Head).

Some sidebars----

Friday, stopped for a donut in Patterson, GA and met Don and Cam from Seattle who are bicycling from Daytona to Richmone. Have a great ride!

When I stayed in the motor home rental in the back of the campground in Odum, Ga, the local 4H archery team was practicing. I watched 25 middle and hs kids shooting hundreds of arrows getting ready for the state competition today. Their team has won nationals 3 or 4 times in the past 10 years. Hope they do well.

Time to clean up and get something to eat then start heading south on A1A, across the mouth of the St. John's at Mayport then St. Augustine.

1 comment:

  1. Ed;

    All most there! Have a good day riding! I have been cheering you on. My wife, Claudia said "good luck" and have a good trip.

    ReplyDelete